Camp Erin - Albany
Camp Erin - Albany 2017
Friday, September 22nd - Sunday, September 24th, 2017
View our photographs from previous years:
Online Application - Printable Application
Camp Erin is a free weekend overnight camp for children and teens who are grieving the death of a loved one. Fowler Camp and Retreat Center is located on Sacandaga Lake in Speculator, NY, and transportation will be provided from Rotterdam, NY.
Staffed by Community Hospice bereavement counselors, nurses, and trained community volunteers, it combines traditional, fun, high energy camp activities with grief education and support. Campers have the opportunity to remember their loved ones, develop coping skills and enjoy a positive camp experience.
Camp Erin is free to all campers ages 6 through 17 who have experienced a loss in their lifetime, regardless of whether or not their loved one was a Hospice patient.
Camp Erin was named after Erin Metcalf, a remarkable young woman who died of liver cancer at the age of 17, to acknowledge her love of children and desire to help others. Jamie and Karen Moyer of The Moyer Foundation started this grief camp for children as a tribute to Erin. There are now more than 35 Camp Erins throughout the United States.
Camp takes place during a weekend in September each year, and 60 campers participate annually. The Community Hospice’s Camp Erin was recognized for its excellence by NBC’s top-rated morning program The Today Show, which selected our camp to feature in an in-depth segment.
- Are aged 6-17 years old
- Have experienced the death of a family member or friend
- Have lost their loved one due to illness, homicide, suicide, natural causes, or an accident
- Have lost their loved one recently, or many years ago
- Are attending Camp Erin for the first time
- Are required to attend a Camp Erin Info Session and the Ice Cream Social with a legal guardian
Requirements for Camp Erin - Albany 2017:
- Grief Services Application – Due by July 1 - must be completed by the legal guardian
- Attend a Camp Erin Info Session (children must attend with their legal guardian)
- Attend the Ice Cream Social, Saturday Sept 9th, 2pm-4pm at the Rotterdam Boys & Girls Club
- Attend Camp Erin Weekend, Friday Sept 22, 5pm – Sunday Sept 24, 2pm, meet at Viaport Mall
- Optional: Attend the annual Camp Erin Reunion (TBD November 2017)
For more information, please call Amy Weinar, LCSW at 518-843-5412.
More information about Camp Erin and The Moyer Foundation can be found here.